Getting your UK work visa can be easy

Moving overseas can be a pretty daunting idea for some, but it doesn’t actually need to be hard. You just need to make sure all the things on your checklist are taken care of: from which clothes to pack and take with you, sorting out your passport, what to do with the rest of your belongings, and making sure you have the correct visa to enter the UK for work.

While most of those things are pretty standard and straight forward, none (other than your passport) are quite so important as having you UK visa application Australia in and approved. It’s important to know what the requirements are for you to secure a UK work visa, and which one you are eligible for. It’s vital to have this locked away before you get to start packing your suitcase.

So, where do you start? To begin with, it helps knowing which UK visas are available to Australian and New Zealand professionals, and what each one allows or restricts you to do.

The UK youth mobility scheme visa is suited to professional contractors aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive). The Tier 5 visa allows you to live and work in the UK for up to two years, leaving you free to exit and enter back into the UK at any time during the two years when your visa is valid. There are a few small restrictions on this visa, one of them being that you cannot extend your stay once it expires. You also can’t be granted and use this visa more than once, and must provide proof of funds available to help support you until you secure employment.

The UK ancestry visa information is applicable to those Australians or New Zealanders who have a grandparent (or parent) that was born in the UK. Similarly to the Tier 5, you will be required to demonstrate your intention to work in the UK and evidence of funds that will prove you can support yourself upon entry, until you’ve secured employment. This visa however is valid for five years, and unlike the Tier 5, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) at the conclusion of this five year period, which if approved would allow you to stay longer than the original visa term.

At myOE, we know all about UK visas and can assist you with your application for a UK work permits. We provide free support and advice on your tier 5 visa for UK eligibility, as well as setting up other things you will need once you leave – such as a National Insurance number, UK bank account, and how to reformat your resume for the UK market.

To find out how we can help you in your preparations to live, work and play in the UK, contact our dedicated team today!